Fridaythorpe to Huggate.
Distance: 6¼ miles / 10 kilometers
Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Map: OS Explorer OS 294 - Market Weighton & Yorkshire Wolds Central
This is an easy going picturesque 6¼ mile circular walk to Huggate through pasture land and the dry valleys and dales of the chalk landscape of the Yorkshire Wolds. Due to the chalk landscape acting like a giant sponge, it is ideal for walking in any weather. There is plenty of accessibly free parking around the church of St Mary and Fridaythorpe village pond - please park responsibly.
The walk starts and ends in Fridaythorpe which dates back to medieval times and is the highest village on the Yorkshire Wolds at 561 feet (170 metres) above sea level. It is the midpoint of the 79 miles Wolds Way, and claims the fame of where the trail was officially opened in October 1982. The walk heads passed St Mary's Church with its Norman west tower, the remainder of the church dates back to the 12th century and the village pond where there is a plaque commemorating the 21st anniversary of the Wolds Way. The Farmers Arms Inn is a grade II listed building.
The trail heads south out of the village on to the A166 for about 175 yards before turning left along Huggate Lane, after about 600 yards, it picks up the bridleway towards Wold House Farm, then turns left along a bridleway passing Glebe Farm and meets Town End Lane turn right and follow Church Street in to Huggate. From Huggate follow Town End Lane for about 265 yards to where it picks up the Yorkshire Wolds Way and follows Horse Dale and Holm Dale and then back to Huggate Lane and to Fridaythorpe.
Huggate is the 2nd highest village on the Yorkshire Wolds at 558 feet (170 metres) above sea level. The village has one of the deepest wells in England, 348 feet (106 metres) deep. The grade I listed building of the church of St Mary (formerly All Hallows Church) is prominent with its imposing 14th century spire. The church was given by Forne FitzLyulph, son of Sigulf (of Greystoke) to St Mary's Abbey, York about 1150 which was restored in 1864. The local hostelry, the Wolds Inn was built in 1592.